Monday, February 9, 2015

To Kill A Mockingbird//Book Review

I don't know if this is necessarily the most effective way of posting book reviews.
However, if I saved them all for one post at the end of the month, you'd be reading for forever!
If anyone knows of a better way, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

For now, I present yet another book I finished this week...


To Kill A Mockingbird
by: Harper Lee
5/5 stars

This book is arguably one of my favorite books of all time.
Now, if you know me at all, you know I don't take this honor lightly. 
I love SO MANY different books that I can't possibly pick a favorite.
But if I had to, this would definitely be in my top 10. 
Probably top 5.
Top 3?

Anyway, I originally read To Kill A Mockingbird in my sophomore year of high school. (I loved it then too)
I was recently moved to re-read this story because my 8th graders were going to be reading it for class.
I still remembered a lot of the original story, but not as much of the feelings (which I also understand better now because, believe it or not, I'm more grown up)

If you haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird, spoiler alert, it has absolutely nothing to do with Mockingbirds.
Which honestly, I love when authors do stuff like that. Making titles that have nothing to do with the story.
Maybe that's why I was such a big fan of groups like Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco.

Back on track!

To Kill A Mockingbird is told through the eyes of young Jean Louise "Scout" Finch. 
She's a feisty little tomboy who is growing up with the influence of her older brother "Jem" and her lawyer father Atticus.
She's growing up during a time in United States history where blacks were still being treated unfairly by whites. 
Because of this, there is some language in the story. Yes, the "N-word" is used, but it's not overpowering.
Without this word, the story wouldn't make sense. It was the time period.

Her father ends up in a case where he must defend a black man for a pretty big crime.
The story is about Scout as she deals with the town not knowing how to respond to the verdict of the case, as well as the fact that Atticus would defend a black man in the first place.

It's a fantastic book. I love it. (Obviously)

Also, in recent news, Harper Lee has said she has written another book (so far this is her only book in print) that features Scout as an adult, coming back to her old town and revisiting her thoughts and emotions of that time.
I, for one, am THRILLED. 

Apparently this book was actually written BEFORE To Kill A Mockingbird, but the people reading it were so in love with Scout that they wanted a story from when she was younger.
If you want more information about this upcoming book, you can read about it here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...